Meet our New Grand Design Reflection
Chuck and I decided to buy a new RV. Meet our new Reflection Grand Design 5th Wheel. Her name is “Inspiration”.
We absolutely loved our Class C but it didn’t fit our needs anymore. We really need an RV with office space. With our Class C “Midnight” we were working at our kitchen table and tripping over everything for our first year of traveling. It was time for an upgrade and we are so glad we did.
See this video of our Grand Design 5th Wheel
Video by Grand Design GDRV TV
Here was our list of must-haves in the camper to make it work for us:
- Mid-bunk room with a loft up above
- Need to be able to take out the couch or order it without the couch in a mid-bunk room for office space (no heat ducts under the couch)
Our bunkhouse has a couch but we decided to leave it in for guests when they come over.
- Camping Fridge lp/electric – We boondock so we needed the camping fridge
- Be able to walk around the king-size bed comfortably to make it
- Auto leveling jacks
- TV straight on from the couch in the living space. We didn’t want to be kinking our necks to watch TV
- Picking Space – In our last RV “Midnight (See Below) we had massive jams in our camper and wanted to make sure this had room for music jams.
- Whisper quiet air conditioners – This model didn’t come with Whisper Quiet air conditioners which is unfortunate but we are making it work. The air conditioners that we have are pretty loud. Hopefully, some dealer will read this one day and decide to put only whisper-quiet air conditioners in all their RVs, Campers, Rigs, Etc. If having a quiet air conditioner is really important to you, Open Range has whisper-quiet air conditioners.
- Big Windows and as many as possible on every side with blackout pull down shades
- Solar panel hookup capabilities
- Table and chairs in Kitchen
- TV in bedroom
- Get to bed and bathroom with slides in
- Big shower with seat
- No heaters registers on the floor
- Closer to 10,000 lbs
- 4 Season RV Value
- Wrap around fiberglass front
- Prefer no carpet. There is carpet in our 5th Wheel in the bedroom and a little in the living room. I actually really like it.
Chuck and I love the grey interior woodwork and the lighter grey couches. I was thinking I would want black couches because I was worried about it showing all the dirt on the grey couches. These don’t look dirty at all.
Overall we love this camper, it suits our needs very well and have been pretty happy with it.
Meet our last RV “Midnight”
Take the Journey!
ABOUT OUR RV
We purchase our RV in 2013, a 2011 Forest River Sunseeker Class C with the bunkhouse 3170DS. I had searched for this specific model for about 5 to 6 months before we purchased it. We wanted the bunkhouse for the girls and the space above the cab for our instruments and of course, we wanted the jamming space in case it rained at a festival. Those were the main things for us.
At that time we were playing so many shows and I was getting tired of having to take 4 trips into the hotel rooms with all our instruments, cooler, food, clothes, etc. We stayed at everything from the nicest mansions to the cockroach motels. You just never knew where an event organizer was gonna put you up. One night after I slept in the bathtub because there were insulation particles from a previous construction worker, apparently the sheets hadn’t been washed, I have had enough of sleeping in hotels. Ohhhh the stories I could go on.
We really just wanted our own space and didn’t want to leave the festival because I suffered from FOMO (Fear of missing out). Also, if we had been drinking at the festival we didn’t want to drive.
THE NAME “MIDNIGHT”
The name Midnight comes from a few different places. One is our magical night at the Bean Blossom Bluegrass Festival in Indiana, where Chuck and I had a moment right around midnight where we ended up in this hollar and the two of us jammed together. There were people all around us listening and watching. Sorta like in Snow White where she is laying on the ground and all the animals peek out to see her. In this case, everyone kept a long enough distance away from where we know they were. We could barely see them. We just faced each other and sang one song after another. The moon was full and really bright. It was one of the best nights we ever had playing music together.
Ever since that night, we tried to recreate a moment like that at every festival we go to.
Another reason why we wanted to name our RV “Midnight” is because of all the jams we’ve had in our RV and/or around a fire by our RV at midnight. So here is a toast to anyone out there that has been in our RV around midnight.
Midnight also represents a day. A day ending or beginning of the adventure, exciting, exploring, living, loving, dreaming, hoping, being present by living in the moment, to be inspired or to inspire someone else, also seeing beauty all around us wherever we are.
Whether your day is over or just beginning, live it is like it is your last. Be happy and positive it’s infectious.
Engine – Triton / V10 6.8 litres
Chassis Brand – Ford
Chassis Model – E450
Cylinders – 10
Horsepower – 305 hp @ 4,250 RPM
Torque – 420 ft-lbs. @ 3,250 RPM
Fuel Type – Gas
Width – 8.42 ft. (101 in.)
Height – 11.25 ft. (135 in.)
Interior Height – 7 ft. (84 in.)
Wheelbase – 18.33 ft. (220 in.)
Payload Capacity – 1,850 lbs.
Towing Capacity – 5,000 lbs.
GVWR – 14,500 lbs.